What Makes Us Different - EXCEL
At EXCEL, the experience doesn't end when you leave camp, it continues through:
- STEM education in the classroom with newly acquired materials from our teacher training modules
- STEM education at our local YMCA branches
- Future college opportunities
- Future internship opportunities
- Ultimately providing the foundation for a career in a STEM field in future partnering organizations
Our focus provides opportunities for students to use critical thinking skills and gain problem solving abilities in order to complete activities and projects in the areas of exploration, archeology, rocketry and oceanography. These skills are created and deepened at camp and then fine tuned through our continued resources guiding students into lives of innovation.
National Geographic and The JASON Project
We collaborate with The JASON Project, a non-profit organization that connects students with inspirational STEM role models in real time through interactive web feeds. Not only do students get to explore the oceans depths with scientists and explorers as they uncover treasures lost to the waves, but they also ask questions and receive answers in real time and can even offer suggestions on how to explore! Students learn the exciting and vast world of careers in STEM by watching and interacting with professionals at work.