Before & After School Teachers, Aides and Program Staff
We currently have over 10 openings for Before and After School staff
Various locations in the West Valley region. We do not have a childcare facility in Reseda that is hiring. The West Valley YMCA branch is located in Reseda, CA and we have nine (9) satellite child care centers and after-school programs located in Calabasas, West Hills, Canoga Park, and Woodland Hills. We do not provide any before or after school child care programs or day camps at our branch facility in Reseda and we are currently not hiring for any locations in or near Reseda. All programs are held off-site at elementary schools; the farthest program site is 9 miles from the West Valley Family YMCA. Candidates must be willing to travel daily to one of our off-site child care program locations.
Hours and Salary
After School Positions: Part-Time, 15 to 25 hours per week
Before School Positions: Part-Time, 6 to 8 hours per week
Our after-school programs are typically open Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday from around 2:15 pm until 6:00pm/6:30 pm and Tuesday from about 1:15 pm to 6:00pm/6:30pm. Our program hours vary, based on the program location. Some locations operate for hours earlier than 2:00pm. Candidates with open availability are strongly preferred.
Our before school programs are typically open from 6:30am/7:0am to 8:00am/8:15am.
Before and After School program staff must be available 5 days a week (Monday-Friday) and must be available for the hours listed above. Candidates wishing to maximize their hours, are welcome to apply for both before and after school care positions. Candidates with limited availability, need not apply.
This is a year-round position, which includes additional hours when school is out of session. When school is out of session, our before and after school program sites offer full-day care (day camp) for our enrollees. All before and after school staff are expected to work year round, including when school is not in session.
$12.00 per hour for aides/program leaders
$12.75 per hour for teachers
West Valley Family YMCA, 18810 Vanowen Street, Reseda, CA 91335
For Aides/Program Leaders:
• High school diploma or equivalent
• (Option 1) 12 semester units in ECE or CD or (Option 2) 6 semester units in ECE or CD and 6 semester units in a related field that can be directly applied to program delivery. Accepted units in a related field may include: Recreation (art, dance, music, theater, etc.), Physical Education, Human Services or Social Welfare (home economics, nursing, psychology, sociology, counseling, etc.) or Education units earned towards an elementary school or middle school teaching credential.
• Age eighteen years or older
• High school diploma or equivalent
• 6 months previous experience working with children in a group setting.
• Ability to plan, organize and implement age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate program activities.
• Ability to develop positive, authentic relationships with people from different backgrounds
• Strong character values (respect, responsibility, honesty, caring); strong communication skills; emotional maturity
• Immunization & Physical: Current TB, influenza, pertussis, and measles vaccinations and physical exam.
• The YMCA will provide the following certifications to all new hires, at no cost, upon hire: (1) TB test and (2) physical exam/health screening, at no cost.
• Upon hire, the Influenza Immunization may be declined by written declaration.
• Supervision of a group of up to 14 children.
• Planning and implementation of curriculum, family events, etc.
• Basic site cleaning and upkeep.
• Administrative paperwork
• Communicating with co-workers and parents in a professional manner.
Mandatory Trainings & Certifications:
• EMSA approved Infant, Child and Adult CPR and Basic First Aid
• Completion of YMCA Child Abuse Prevention and Workplace Harassment online trainings
• For staff working during the summer season, Basic Water Rescue Certifications
• California Child Care Preventative Health and Safety Training
• Other trainings as required for the position (a complete list of trainings for 2017-18 school year will be provided to all applicants at the time of the interview).
• The West Valley Family YMCA will provide the following certifications to all new hires, at no cost, upon hire: (1) Infant, Child and Adult CPR, (2) Basic First Aid, (3) Basic Water Rescue, (4) California Child Care Preventative Health and Safety and (5) Child Abuse Prevention & Workplace Harassment.
How to Apply
Please send the following documents to Christopher Jefferson, Senior Program Director, Child Care and Community, ChristopherJefferson@ymcaLA.org:
• A short paragraph about why you are interested in this position (cover letter)
• A resume attached to the e-mail as a PDF or Word Document
• If applying to be a teacher: A copy of your transcripts (unofficial transcripts are ok), showing that you have completed the units required for this position.
Applications Due: Ongoing
Interviews: Ongoing until all positions are filled.
Start dates: Immediate
Please, no faxes
Please send all questions, etc. via e-mail