Under the supervision of the Aquatics Director and Lead Staff, the Lifeguard is responsible for maintaining the highest level of safety for all participants in the pool area; first, by preventing accidents and second, by responding to an emergency quickly and efficiently. The Lifeguard also functions as a resource for Healthy Lifestyles and other YMCA programs. The Lifeguard is responsible for member satisfaction and retention; implementing the Six Pillars of Character in behavior and interaction, and creating a safe environment for all members.
Hours and Salary
Part-time, non-exempt, less than or equal to 20 hours/week
Salary Range $12.00-$12.50/hr
Torrance-South Bay YMCA, 2900 W Sepulveda Boulevard, Torrance, CA 90505
• Must be 16 years or older.
• Pass Swim Test and Skills Test (500m swim, chin splint, head splint and CPR).
• Must hold current lifeguard certification.
• Must hold current CPR, AED, and First Aid certifications.
• Possess effective communication skills necessary to inform, counsel, motivate and support members.
• Have knowledge of safe and proper techniques for emergency situations.
• Be able to work flexible schedules.
• Effective communication skills necessary to inform, motivate and support swim participants.
• Report to work on time, in uniform, and ready to go.
• Maintain safety of all the patrons by using scanning 10x10x10 and preventive techniques.
• Implement appropriate pool set up at all times dictated by pool schedule.
• Maintain accurate pool chemical readings and complete incident reports in a timely manner as indicated by the Aquatics Director. Turn in all documents as requested by the Aquatics Director.
• Maintain good attendance for all shifts and coverage; assume full responsibility for all assigned and substituted shifts.
• Attend all mandatory monthly staff meetings, quarterly trainings and all-staff meetings, and one-on- one sessions with your supervisor.
• Build relationships with members to help recruit volunteers for the department’s needs.
• Always be professional, alert, courteous, and diplomatic.
• Represent the YMCA and the Aquatics program in a positive manner.
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter and resume, with subject line "Lifeguard" to HarryVan@ymcaLA.org. Telephone Number 310-325-5885 ext. 2788.