Through an innovative partnership with the Los Angeles Unified School District, the new Collins & Katz Family YMCA will be a state-of-the-art 72,000 square foot YMCA facility and parking structure on the campus of University High School in West Los Angeles. In addition to offering full-service amenities for its members, the Y will help address the reduction of public school programs by providing extended physical education opportunities for students on campus. Serving the community since 1941, the Westside Family YMCA will triple its capacity as the Collins & Katz Family YMCA.
Under the supervision of the Aquatics Director and Lead Staff, the Lifeguard is responsible for maintaining the highest level of safety for all participants in the pool area; first, by preventing accidents and second, by responding to an emergency quickly and efficiently. The Lifeguard also functions as a resource for Healthy Lifestyles and other YMCA programs. The Lifeguard is responsible for member satisfaction and retention; implementing the Six Pillars of Character in behavior and interaction, and creating a safe environment for all members.
Hours and Salary
PT position - $13/hour
Collins & Katz YMCA 1466 S Westgate Los Angeles, CA 90025
• Must be 16 years or older.
• Pass Swim Test and Skills Test (500m swim, chin splint, head splint and CPR).
• Must hold current lifeguard certification.
• Must hold current CPR, AED, and First Aid certifications.
• Possess effective communication skills necessary to inform, counsel, motivate and support members.
• Have knowledge of safe and proper techniques for emergency situations.
• Be able to work flexible schedules.
• Effective communication skills necessary to inform, motivate and support swim participants.
• Report to work on time, in uniform, and ready to go.
• Maintain safety of all the patrons by using scanning 10x10x10 and preventive techniques.
• Implement appropriate pool set up at all times dictated by pool schedule.
• Maintain accurate pool chemical readings and complete incident reports in a timely manner as indicated by the Aquatics Director. Turn in all documents as requested by the Aquatics Director.
• Maintain good attendance for all shifts and coverage; assume full responsibility for all assigned and substituted shifts.
• Attend all mandatory monthly staff meetings, quarterly trainings and all-staff meetings, and one-on- one sessions with your supervisor.
• Build relationships with members to help recruit volunteers for the department’s needs.
• Always be professional, alert, courteous, and diplomatic.
• Represent the YMCA and the Aquatics program in a positive manner.
How to Apply
Please forward a cover letter and resume to laurenIwamoto@ymcala.org