Under the supervision of the Director of Sports & Recreation, the Sports Coordinator is responsible for assisting with the development, operation, and management of the Westchester YMCA sports and recreation programs. Programs include youth and adult basketball, Itty Bitty sports, soccer, gymnastics, martial arts, dance, and Parent/Child classes. The Coordinator must possess knowledge of basic sports rules, and general principles of recreation classes and programming, with a background or experience around age-appropriate recreation programs. Applicant must be comfortable leading groups, and/or coaching part-time staff to ensure programs and classes that encourage fun, development, and a safe environment.
Hours and Salary
SALARY RANGE: $13-$15/hour
CLASSIFICATION: Part-Time (with benefits); 30+ hours/week, Non Exempt
Westchester Family YMCA, 8015 S. Sepulveda Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90045
• EDUCATION: High school diploma or equivalent. Kinesiology, Physical Education, and/or youth recreation background preferred.
• PROGRAM KNOWLEDGE: Age appropriate development of skills and instruction techniques, to create a proper progression and synergy between all classes and programs.
• RELATED EXPERIENCE: Minimum of one (1) year experience working with youth sports and/or recreation programs.
• SPECIALIZED SKILLS: Must be able to communicate effectively with youth and YMCA families; organized with high attention to detail; ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously; able to work well both in a group setting, and individually; proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Publisher).
• AVAILABILITY: Must be able to work nights and weekends, and a flexible schedule is highly desired.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
• You must have the physical, visual, and auditory ability to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodations.
• Must establish and maintain positive relationships with YMCA staff, volunteers, and community members.
• Ability to lift 30-35lbs.
• Help plan, implement, and develop age appropriate youth and adult sports/recreation programming.
• Aids in the development and implementation of program schedules, class schedules, and lesson plans, to ensure quality, structured programs.
• Help create and monitor work schedules for relevant part-time staff and instructors.
• Assist with program and class registration processes, in accordance with YMCA seasonal and session deadlines.
• Be able to identify hazardous or at risk situations and report them to supervisor.
• Maintain a professional image and work harmoniously with staff and members.
• Attend meetings and trainings as required.
• Ongoing presence and operations role for all Westchester YMCA youth/adult sports and recreation classes.
• Leads promotional efforts for our sports/recreation programs at local schools, and adjacent communities.
How to Apply
The YMCA of Metropolitan Los Angeles encourages you to join our team! Submit your cover letter and resume to WestchesterHR@ymcala.org.