Under the supervision of the Lead Staff & Aquatics Director, the Swimming Instructor is responsible for teaching swimming to members in the Aquatics Department of the Torrance-South Bay YMCA. The swimming instructor is responsible for member satisfaction and retention; implementing the Six Pillars of Character in behavior and interaction, and creating a fun and safe learning environment.
Hours and Salary
Part-time, non-exempt, less than or equal to 20 hours/week
Salary Range $12.00-$12.50/hr
Torrance-South Bay YMCA, 2900 W Sepulveda Boulevard, Torrance, CA 90505
• Must be 16 years or older.
• Must pass Swim Skills Test (25 meters of Freestyle, Butterfly, Backstroke, Breaststroke, Sidestroke, Elementary Backstroke, Flip Turn and starts for all strokes).
• Possess ability and desire to work with all ages (from toddlers through adults).
• Have knowledge of water safety.
• Must have current CPR and First Aid for the Professional Rescuer or equivalent certificate or be willing to get certified within 60 days of employment.
• Possess effective communication skills necessary to inform, motivate and support swim participants
• Report to work on time, in uniform, and ready to go.
• Implement appropriate skill and developmental techniques for specific age-group lessons.
• Maintain accurate attendance rosters and complete report cards in a timely manner as indicated by the Aquatics Director. Turn in all documents as requested by the Aquatics Director.
• Maintain good attendance for all shifts and coverage; assume full responsibility for all assigned and substituted shifts.
• Attend all mandatory monthly staff meetings, quarterly trainings and all-staff meetings, and one-on-one sessions with your supervisor.
• Seek opportunities for growth and trainings as they present themselves.
• Always be professional, alert, courteous and diplomatic.
• Represent the YMCA and the Aquatics program in a positive manner.
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter and resume, with subject line "Swim Instructor" to HarryVan@ymcaLA.org. Telephone Number 310-325-5885 ext. 2788.