The Child Care Teacher is responsible for the direct supervision, teaching and safety of all enrolled children in the Child Care Program (including a group of up to 12 children). The position plans monthly curriculum and conducts activities for school-age children and assists in the implementation of an enriching and nurturing children’s program. This position must ensure the safety of children at all times.
The Child Care Teacher assists the Site Director and Program Director with the completion of desired results and maintenance of program quality standards for the site. The Child Care teacher may direct the work of a Teacher’s Aide and will provide overall assistance to the site in the absence of the Site Director.
Hours and Salary
SANTA CLARITA VALLEY FAMILY YMCA 26147 McBean Parkway, Valencia, CA 91355
AGE: Eighteen years or older
EDUCATION: high school diploma or equivalent
ECE UNITS: Twelve units of Early Childhood Education, or three units Early Childhood Education plus nine related or equivalent unit; For Preschool Only: 12 core semester units early childhood education and Child Development Associate (CDA) Credential
RELATED EXPERIENCE: 6 months experience working with children in a group setting;
For Preschool Only: 6 months experience in a licensed child care center
SPECIALIZED SKILLS: Strong character values; communication skills; emotional maturity
LICENSES & CERTIFICATIONS: Current First Aid; Adult, Infant and Child CPR Certifications, Preventative Health Practices (PHP) required for the position.
IMMUNIZATION AND PHYSICAL: Current TB, influenza (limited exceptions), pertussis, and measles vaccination and physical exam.
You must have the physical, visual, and auditory ability to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodations.
Job is performed in indoor as well as outdoor environments
Ability to lift 30-35lbs
Warmly greet children and parents; creating a welcoming and nurturing environment for all participants and guests.
2. Prepare and implement a well-rounded calendar and curriculum for your group that is child-centered, asset-based and achieves YMCA goals with children and families.
3. Help children manage behavior using a positive approach, including redirection and using constructive discipline with natural and logical consequences.
4. Maintain an exceptionally clean and safe environment in the child care facility.
5. Work with the site director in providing continuous program feedback to parents regarding their child/children’s participation and behavior in the program, including conferences with parents when necessary.
6. Oversee and provide guidance to assigned Teacher Aide, when necessary.
7. Step in to address issues concerning the management of the site in the absence of the Site Director.
8. Interact, initiate and encourage the children in the activities during the day.
9. Initiate, establish and maintain strong positive communications with parents and school personnel, including delivering complete information regarding program, schedules and special events.
10. Participate in Family Events as directed by Site Director.
11. Respond to questions/concerns from members, parents and school personnel; effectively problem-solve, taking full responsibility to remedy the situation and follow through to completion.
12. Assist site director with the recruitment of parents for Parent Advisory Council.
13. Understand and be able to discuss and promote all YMCA programs. Inform members of YMCA programs that will meet their changing needs and interests.
14. Keep accurate attendance records which include: taking roll, verify absences, maintain a daily attendance log and Primary Care Group (PCG) reports.
15. Maintain close supervision of children at all times. At no time will a child be left unsupervised.
16. During outside activities stand in a location where the entire area can be seen at all times. If more than one staff member is outside, each staff member will watch a different section of the outside area. Staff members are not to stand together and periodically must patrol the entire outside area.
17. Monitor program areas for safety hazards and conduct daily safety inspections; report unsafe conditions to Site Director or Program Director.
18. Comply with all licensing requirements (Title 22) and support site director and team members in meeting all licensing requirements.
19. Attend staff meetings and training as required.
20. Uphold YMCA policies for safety, supervision, mandated reporting and risk management.
21. Demonstrate the Six Pillars of Character (Trustworthiness, Citizenship, Respect, Responsibility, Caring, Fairness) as well as the YMCA Core Values of Caring, Respect, Honesty, and Responsibility in all dealings with members, guests, volunteers and fellow staff.
22. Demonstrate competencies in and willingness to develop in the Cause Driven Leadership areas of mission advancement, collaboration, operational effectiveness and personal growth.
23. All other duties as assigned by your supervisor.
YMCA LEADER COMPETENCIES
The Y’s Leadership Competency Model is comprised of 18 leadership competencies (leadership knowledge, skills, and behaviors required for success in the Y), organized by the four disciplines of cause-driven leadership:
Mission Advancement: advancing the Y’s promise to strengthen community
Competencies include: Values, Community, Volunteerism, Philanthropy
Collaboration: working with, understanding and developing others
Competencies include: Inclusion, Relationships, Influence, Communication, Developing Others
Operational Effectiveness: ensuring relevance, effectiveness, and sustainability
Competencies include: Decision Making, Innovation, Project Management, Finance, Quality Results
Personal Growth: developing continually to adapt to new challenges
Competencies include: Self Development, Change Capacity, Emotional Maturity, Functional Expertise
While all competencies are significant the following are critical to success in this position:
Inclusion / Relationships
Decision-Making / Quality Results
How to Apply
Please send cover letter as well as a resume to ErinWeiss@ymcala.org