Water Exercise Instructor
Through an innovative partnership with the Los Angeles Unified School District, the new Collins & Katz Family YMCA will be a state-of-the-art 72,000 square foot YMCA facility and parking structure on the campus of University High School in West Los Angeles. In addition to offering full-service amenities for its members, the Y will help address the reduction of public school programs by providing extended physical education opportunities for students on campus. Serving the community since 1941, the Westside Family YMCA will triple its capacity as the Collins & Katz Family YMCA.
Under the supervision of the Director of Aquatics and lead staff, the Water Exercise Instructor is responsible for the development, growth, instruction, and motivation of all members participating in the Aquatics programs. The Water Exercise Instructor also functions as a resource for Healthy Lifestyles and other YMCA programs. The Water Exercise Instructor is responsible for member satisfaction and retention and for creating an enjoyable environment for all members.
Hours and Salary
Salary Range $12-$15/hour
Collins & Katz YMCA 1466 S Westgate Los Angeles, CA 90025
Must be 18 years or older.
• Previous background experience as a dancer, group exercise instructor or water exercise instructor is preferred.
• Knowledge of aqua-fitness programming.
• Demonstrate a ten minute class to provide a full body workout.
• Possess the ability and desire to work with types of people with fitness experience (beginner to advanced).
• Have knowledge of water safety.
• Must have current CPR and First Aid for the Professional Rescuer or equivalent certificate or be willing to get certified within 60 days of employment.
• Possess effective communication skills necessary to inform, motivate and support participants.
• Report to work on time, in uniform, and ready to go.
• Promote the program inside the YMCA and out in the community.
• Attend trainings and meetings pertinent to the program area and professional development.
• Be able to carry supplies, tables, chairs, and other equipment as necessary (weight maximum 25 lbs).
• Be alert both physically and mentally to potential safety and risk situations in order to assure the safety of all swimmers; analyze situations, react appropriately, and remain calm and efficient in handling problems.
• Attend all mandatory monthly staff meetings, quarterly trainings and all staff meetings, and one-on-one sessions with your supervisor.
• Always be professional, alert, courteous and diplomatic.
• Represent the YMCA and the Aquatics program in a positive manner.
How to Apply
Please forward a cover letter with your resume to LaurenIwamoto@ymcala.org