Having mastered the fundamentals, students learn additional water safety skills that prevent chronic disease, increase social-emotional and cognitive well-being, and foster a lifetime of physical activity.
Ages: Preschool 3-5 yrs | School Age 6 -12 yrs | Teens 13+
Students develop stroke technique in front crawl and back crawl and learn the breaststroke, kick and butterfly kick. Water safety is reinforced through treading water and elementary backstroke.
- Able to submerge & retrieve an object in chest deep water
- Able to swim front crawl 15 yards while taking a breath
- Able to swim-float-swim 15 yards
- Able to jump in & tread water for 30 seconds
- Able to swim to wall & exit
Ages: School Age 5-12 yrs | Teens 13+
Students work on stroke technique and learn all major competitive strokes. The emphasis on water safety continues through treading water and sidestroke.
- Able to front crawl & back crawl 25 yards
- Able to swim breaststroke kick and dolphin kick 15 yards
- Able to tread water using multiple kicks for 1 minute
Ages: School age 5-12 yrs | Teens 13+
Students refine stroke technique on all major competitive strokes, learn about competitive swimming and discover how to incorporate swimming into a healthy lifestyle.
- Able to swim front crawl with bent arm recovery & rotary breathing for 25 yards
- Able to swim back crawl with stroke rotation for 25 yards
- Able to swim butterfly with over arm recovery
- Able to swim breaststroke for 25 yards achieving stroke rhythm
- Able to dive from kneeling position
If you’re having difficulty choosing the appropriate stage, the Y’s Swim Lessons Selector can help, or give us a call at the branch and we’d be happy to assist you.
Build confidence with every stroke.