Having mastered the fundamentals, students learn additional water safety skills that prevent chronic disease, increase social-emotional and cognitive well-being, and foster a lifetime of physical activity.
Ages: Preschool 3-5 yrs | School Age 6 -12 yrs | Teens 13+
Students develop stroke technique in front crawl and back crawl and learn the breaststroke, kick and butterfly kick. Water safety is reinforced through treading water and elementary backstroke.
- Able to submerge & retrieve an object in chest deep water
- Able to swim front crawl 15 yards while taking a breath
- Able to swim-float-swim 15 yards
- Able to jump in & tread water for 30 seconds
- Able to swim to wall & exit
Ages: School Age 5-12 yrs | Teens 13+
Students work on stroke technique and learn all major competitive strokes. The emphasis on water safety continues through treading water and sidestroke.
- Able to front crawl & back crawl 25 yards
- Able to swim breaststroke kick and dolphin kick 15 yards
- Able to tread water using multiple kicks for 1 minute
Ages: School age 5-12 yrs | Teens 13+
Students refine stroke technique on all major competitive strokes, learn about competitive swimming and discover how to incorporate swimming into a healthy lifestyle.
- Able to swim front crawl with bent arm recovery & rotary breathing for 25 yards
- Able to swim back crawl with stroke rotation for 25 yards
- Able to swim butterfly with over arm recovery
- Able to swim breaststroke for 25 yards achieving stroke rhythm
- Able to dive from kneeling position
If you’re having difficulty choosing the appropriate stage, the Y’s Swim Lessons Selector can help, or visit your local branch for assistance.
Build confidence with every stroke.
Branches offering Swim Strokes:
- Anderson Munger Family YMCA
- Antelope Valley Family YMCA
- Culver-Palms Family YMCA
- Downey Family YMCA
- East Valley Family YMCA
- Gardena-Carson Family YMCA
- Hollywood YMCA
- Ketchum-Downtown YMCA
- Mid Valley Family YMCA
- Montebello-Commerce YMCA
- North Valley Family YMCA
- San Pedro & Peninsula YMCA
- Santa Anita Family YMCA
- Santa Clarita Valley Family YMCA
- South Pasadena San Marino YMCA
- Southeast-Rio Vista YMCA
- Torrance-South Bay YMCA
- Weingart East Los Angeles YMCA
- Weingart YMCA Wellness & Aquatic Center
- West Valley Family YMCA
- Westchester Family YMCA
- Westside Family YMCA
- Wilmington YMCA