Greetings Community Members,
First and foremost, we hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during this time. We know everyone has had to adjust their lives both personally and professionally, and we are no different. We wanted to share with you a few updates on how your Culver-Palms Family YMCA is responding to this crisis and also share next steps on how we need your help.
- I’m excited to announce a new opportunity for our Y to serve the community: Beginning Thursday, April 23, our Y will be the recipient of a large amount of fresh produce weekly. Thanks to the Gardena-Carson YMCA, we are able to expand on a partnership that already existed with Food Forward and Baby2Baby. We’ll also be receiving a small amount of supplies for infants. We will have volunteer opportunities and some costs to be offset. I hope you will join me in making this new program a great success for our friends and neighbors.
- Second, the YMCA is working with the Culver City Police Department and the City of Culver City to help mobilize volunteers to assist with our senior population. The city is coordinating all local volunteer efforts, and our volunteers can sign up online here to help.
- Third, we’re partnering with the American Red Cross and the Culver-Palms United Methodist Church (right next door) to jointly host blood drives at the church.
- Fourth, we’re in talks with the police department and the city on how we can provide the use of our parking lot to support Covid-19 related efforts.
- Last, we’re exploring how we can support food distribution efforts already going on within the community. We’re connecting seniors to food-related resources as they inquire with us. We secured a food donation from Benny’s Tacos in support of Grace Lutheran’s Grace Diner food distribution efforts.
- On an operational note, construction has continued to move full speed ahead. The crew has used this closure to take advantage of working in the entire facility. You can see pictures of the progress by visiting our Facebook page here. Construction is estimated to be completed mid-May.
We remain concerned about our furloughed staff and continue to make every effort to take care of them during this time. Along with extended health benefits, we are in regular communication with them to provide resources, encouragement, and appreciation. We also want our members and program members to feel connected to and supported by the Y and are making phone calls and offering virtual programming and social media events.
We’re also pleased to announce the successful launch of our campaign to raise $3M for our Y's Emergency Community Impact Fund. This initiative will ensure our ability to continue offering the critical services and resources our communities need right now. If you are able, please consider joining this effort.
We know that what the Y has done so far is helping our community during this challenging time, but we have only scratched the surface. We need you to engage with us, think outside of the box, and communicate with your community partners on behalf of the Y. We have pivoted quickly to do amazing work, and hope that you’ll be able to join us as we continue to serve our community together.
CULVER-PALMS FAMILY YMCA